Sunday, March 14, 2010

Globalized Business, Globalized Photo Props

Poking around on the Etsy forums again, I saw a thread from an Australian Etsian asking "How big is a dime?" (Spin-off thread on using props to show size can be found here.)

While the paint dries on our latest creations, we can sit at our computers and chat with people from every other continent on the planet. We simultaneously watch the sun rise and set during virtual lab critiques, turn to friends in another hemisphere when we need encouragement through our own difficult seasons, and find so much connection and familiarity in this enormous web of community and creation.

It's easy to forget that not everyone sees squirrels out their windows.
Uses a knife, fork, and spoon.

Buys ground beef and chicken by the pound and the rest of their meat in Spanglish.
Can prepare and eat an artichoke.

Thinks mailboxes are blue.

and money is green.

and a quarter is a coin.

and a dime is small.

I've been trying to photograph my Etsy items with related, universal-as-possible objects. I went on a salt and pepper rampage a few days ago. I'm not sure how helpful the salt and pepper piles are in terms of size, but it's a reference and it's better than US currency or (in my opinion) the ugly ruler photo many people take. I also used the salt and pepper containers from the store. How many countries get Morton Salt in a cylinder with a spout? I have no idea.
My rolling pins all got photographed with eggs in a bowl since that was the best I could come up with at the time.

Creativity and problem solving is a lot of what I like about the whole Etsy business thing, especially with the vintage shop.

What items are you trying to photograph in a way that demonstrates their sizes? What have you come up with in the past? Have any suggestions for anything in my shop? What is or isn't universal that surprises you in some way?

ART CREDITS: Mixing by nARTa available at narta.etsy.com
Irice Salt and pepper Shakers photographed by me and available at JillHannah.etsy.com

No comments: